There is a lot going on this year at Baroness Wars! Scroll down for details on the Heart of the Midlands competition, Dirty Dozen Largesse Derby, Vigils, Baronial investiture of Shattered Crystal, Aztec Night at the One Paw Tiger Inn, the Heraldic Consultation Extraordinaire, Coursing of the Royal Hounds, Dancing and Bardic madness, Classes, and Children's Activities
~Heart of the Midlands~
The Heart of the Midlands tournament returns! Last year the A&S portion was so amazing that we will now focus this tourney solely on A&S. This year there is a TWIST, each group that enters will be making something for a different group. The entries will once again be judged by Ladies of the Rose with the winning group receiving the Heart of the Midlands banner for a year and a day BUT every entering group will walk away with whatever was made for them! DEADLINE TO ENTER IS JANUARY 19th. Group names will be drawn at Festival of Maidens and groups notified after the event.
How it works:
- Notify Baroness Epona by January 19th that your group wants to participate. Tourney is open to all Midlands groups, cantons included. Make sure to include preferred point of contact for the group AND any suggestions of things your group might need.
- After Festival of Maidens, you will be notified what group you are making something for along with any suggestions of things that group might need. You do not have to use any of their suggestions if you have other ideas.
- As a group, make something for the group you have been assigned. This is meant to be a GROUP effort and ideally more labor intensive than expensive. Please limit costs to $100 or less.
- REMEMBER! This is a secret competition, don't tell anyone else who you are making something for. You can send "spies" to learn more about your designated group to gain additional ideas! Attending one of their events is a great way to do this!
- At Baroness Wars V, all the entries will be judged and the winning group will receive the Heart of the Midlands banner for a year and a day. Then each group gets to take home what got made for them!
~"Dirty Dozen" Largesse Derby~
How it works:
- Entrants must create 12 items that follow a theme, such as: 12 needlebooks, 12 children’s toys, 12 linen coifs, etc…
- Items bust be tagged with a description of the item, your name, home (Shire/Barony/Canton/etc), and materials used in case of allergies.
- Items must be ready to be gifted the day of the derby (Saturday, Aug 26th).
- Alcoholic largesse IS allowed, however it MUST be labelled that it contains alcohol & for those of the age of 21 & older.
- Judging will be done by the "beads in a cup" method. Upon signing in at Gate, you will be given a bead to vote for your favorite largesse with. The voting period will begin at 10am and continue until 2 hours before Court that day.
- The person who receives the most votes will be the winner! The winner will receive one item out of each of the sets of largesse. For example, if there are 12 entries, you will receive one of each of the other 11 entries. The winner will be presented with his or her prizes at Court! If you do not expect to be at Court, be sure your items also have your contact information!
- The remaining largesse will be collected and presented to their Royal Majesties at Court!
- Set up for the Derby will begin at 9:30am, location on site is to be determined.
- You do NOT need to be a seasoned artisan to participate! We encourage any and all who would like to create largesse for their Royal Majesties to do so!
- You do NOT need documentation for your largesse. This is not an A&S competition!
- You can enter more than one set of 12 items. For example, you can enter a set of needlebooks, a set of linen coifs, etc…each set will count as one entry.
- Don't think you can create 12 items on your own? Joint and TEAM entries are allowed! Just please include ALL of the names of people who contributed on your tags!
- Please send any questions to Lady Castelhana da Silva
Baron Gareth, Baroness Epona, Lucia, and Baroness Caroline will all be sitting vigil during the day on Saturday.
~Baronial Investiture for the Barony of Shattered Crystal~
~Aztec Night at the One Paw Tiger Inn~
We're coming back to Baroness Wars, this time featuring Aztec Night!
We've got a really busy weekend, and we're unsure what time court will be finished, so we're going with a simpler menu this year. Food will be ready 30 minutes after evening court is finished, whatever time that might be. So, it's basically taco night, cleverly disguised as Aztec Night. We will have a variety of options that should offer a pleasurable experience for everyone.
Sponsored by The Shire of Swordcliff and The One Paw Tiger Inn
Full menu can be found here. Make sure to stay for drinks and games, you might just win a dirty sock! Facebook event here
~Heraldic Consultation Extraordinaire~
This year at Baroness Wars V, the Lincoln Herald along with the Prairie Pursuivant will be hosting a Midlands Heraldic Event Extraordinaire consisting of a consultation table, a kid’s hands-on heraldry, a heraldic display and history, classes, and a herald's point.
The consultation table will consist of at least two heralds who are available to help members out with name and device questions and preparation to submit devices. Power will available for printers and laptops with a mobile hotspot.
A hands on heraldic table will available for youth and those young at heart. Felt designs, coloring pages, and other crafts will be available for them.
A table will be set up with displays of heraldry, such as banners, tabards, badges, pennants, cloaks, shields, etc. to show how heraldry can be used. Anyone wishing to display heraldry for all to please bring them.
Classes will be taught on the basics of heraldry and other beginner heraldic classes. Any heralds wishing to help teach please contact the Lincoln Herald or Prairie Pursuivant to do so.
A herald’s point will be set up for any messages or information to relayed throughout the site to make it more period and to help build the ambiance of the event.
Throughout the day, judges will transverse the site looking for those who display heraldry in any manner. Three winners will be chosen and given gifts. The displays of heraldry can be anything from displays of arms to having heralds announce you in a tournament to banners on tents.
All heralds are invited to help teach classes, assist in consultation, color in designs, display their heraldry, and assist with the herald's point. Any herald who helps volunteer will be given a wonderful token of appreciation.
Please contact the Lincoln Herald or Prairie Pursuivant for any questions or information.
~Coursing of the Royal Hounds~
Set-up begining at 9am
Sign-in and inspection beginning at 9:30am
Coursing beginning at 10am ( weather and ground conditions permitting)
All hounds must be current on their vaccinations and written proof provided.
All hound handlers are required to provide proof of SCA membership.
All hound owners/handlers are required to undergo authorization as a hound handler. (Takes about 15 minutes and paperwork)
Any breed dog is welcome to participate as long as they are of good health and more than one year of age.
Anyone is welcome to participate weather they own a dog or not.
All hound owners are responsible for the up-keep, clean-up & care of their dogs.
Hounds should not be fed for at least four hours prior to coursing & watered only sparingly
~Dancing and Bardic~
A dance class and set up for evening dance will take place in the Gate pavillion after Gate closes on saturday (~3ish)
After dinner there will be dancing and bardic in the same location. There will be live music!!!